We want a campervan conversion but don’t have a van, can you help?

We are an LMCT and can purchase your new T6 or Huundai Iload at a reduced price for you.  If you are after a used van, download our Van Buying Tips here.

What is your advice when looking for a used van for my conversion?

  • We would not recommend purchasing a used vehicle from a private seller. Always purchase your van from a dealership, as you will have legal rights pertaining to the condition of the van once you have driven away.
  • Similarly, if you are purchasing a second hand vehicle and are paying for an RACV/RACQ/NRMA check be aware of what this inspection covers. The fine print reads that the inspection will only cover you for 30 days after the check and only for a maximum of $1000. Additionally, this minimal coverage is only valid if you are already an RACV member. Having said that, if there are any major mechanical issues they should shop up on an RACV check and you will then know to continue shopping for another vehicle.
  • At Achtung Camper we convert VW Transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai Iload vans only.
  • When purchased new, The VW Transporters come with a 3 years warranty and the Hyundai vans with a 5 year warranty. You can often find a better value used Hyundai with lower km’s and still with 1 or 2 years warranty remaining than if you were to buy a used VW of the same age.
  • If you are wanting a pop top roof for you campervan keep in mind we cannot add a pop top roof to a VW mid roof van, we can only add the pop top roof to what was originally a low roof van.
  • If you don’t want to pay for a pop top roof (they can be pricey) you could purchase a VW mid roof. You can’t stand up straight in them but they give you some added height and more cabinetry space.
  • Another positive to purchasing a VW Transporter with a mid roof is that the majority of them are 4 Motion (4 Wheel Drive Capacity).

–     As per above, the VW Transporter is available in a 4 Motion (4 Wheel drive capacity). Please note that there are very few used 4 Motion VW Transporters available for sale, and if you want a new T6 with 4 Motion is will need to be factory ordered from Germany, with about a 5 month lead time to arrive here in Australia.

  • It is better to get a van with a tailgate/boot that lifts up as opposed to barn doors (two doors that open in the middle).  Although the only reason for this is that you will have weather protection if you want to sit in the back of the van looking out when it’s raining. See pic below. This isn’t a necessity though, just something to keep in mind.
  • It is better if you can get a van with at least one window in the back but if not we can add them later, although this is an additional cost. You want at least 3 back windows in your van for the conversion.
  • A van with 3 seats in the front is not ideal as you want to be able to walk through from the back to the front easily.  This will also mean you can’t have a swivel seat base added to the passenger seat. (If you are going to be travelling with 2 people the swivel seat base can be handy (it means you can sit opposite each other when you spending time sitting inside the van.)
  • VW Transporters come in a short wheel base or long wheel base.  The long wheel base is 30 cm longer than the short wheel base, which means 30cm more cabinetry space. Some may find the LWB a little harder to park and drive if you live in the city/are used to driving a small car/not the best driver (me).  There are 80% more SWB vans for sale than LWB vans and they are slightly cheaper than LWB vans. Always check yourself that a van is 100% LWB as opposed to SWB before you purchase it as they are often incorrectly advertised as LWB online. See images below for more information, you can see the difference when the side sliding door is closed.
  • The Hyundai vans are all short wheel base vans.

How long does a campervan conversion take?

Between 3 and 5 weeks depending on your conversion.  If you really can’t be without your vehicle for this amount of time talk to us and we will try to organise a quicker timeframe.

What is the size of your bed?

It’s 1.20 metres x 2.00 metres (about double bed size).

What is the height of an Achtung Camper with the pop top roof fitted? (I’m sorried it won’t fit in our garage!)

It’s just under 2.10 metres for a VW Transporter and XX metres for a Hyundai.

Can we get a bed for the pop top roof?

Yes, this is an additional extra and will sleep either one adult or two children.

What are your payment terms and do I need to pay a deposit?

To book in your conversion date with us we require a $500 deposit.  This amount then comes off the total of your bill owing.  50% of the remainder owing is due to be paid by your conversion start date with the remainder due on campervan completion/pickup.

We need finance!

No worries, talk to us and we’ll organise it for you.

We don’t live in Victoria but would like our campervan converted. Can we still get an Achtung Camper and how do we get our van to Geelong?

The majority of our campervan conversions are done for clients interstate.  You can either drive your van down to us or send it down on a truck (costs range from $550 from NSW to $1300 depending on where you live in Australia).  Organising your conversion can be done via email and over the phone.  We can send you samples of all the materials colours you are considering when choosing the colour scheme for your van.

How do I choose my own colour scheme for my campervan?

You can choose from over 9 bright (and neutral!) colours for your cabinetry, a different colour for your benchtop, any colour you can think of for your rock and roll bed/seat and from over 6 netrual colours for interior carpet.

Does our Campervan Conversion come with a warranty?

Yes, we include a 3 year warranty with regular free servicing of your conversion (at 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and then 3 years).

How do we insure our campervan conversion and how does registration work?

You can swap over your van insurance from normal car insurance to Campervan insurance from the day you are due to pickup your completed campervan.  You can then make sure it’s insured for the full value of the campervan i.e. Cost you paid for the van + conversion.
You also need to take your completed campervan to the relevant roads authority in your state to change its classification from a normal motor vehicle to a campervan/caravan.  Keep in mind you have 14 days from when you take out insurance for the vehicle as a campervan to have its classification changed or the insurance may not be valid.
When visiting the roads authority in your state make sure you have the engineer’s certificate and electrician’s certificate with you and have the compliance plate (small blue sticker provided with the engineer’s certificate) stuck on the inside of the driver’s side front door.  We will supply you with all of these things when you pick up your campervan.
With insurance we generally recommend CIL as they are one of the biggest in Australia and the cheapest – they also have wonderful service.  If you contact them mention our Referrer Number: 44146875 as we are registered with them.  Their number is 1800 112 481 or cilinsurance.com.au

Can you fit roof racks on the pop top roof?

There is no problem having roof racks installed on your pop top roof.  We do not install roof racks ourself however recommend Pole Position in Geelong for all your bike rack and roof rack needs.

Your campervans are awesome and so well designed. How do you do it?

We use our campervans regularly and believe in ‘testing’ them on a 2 week road trip every time we make a small change.  It’s on these roads trips that we often think of further innovations that would even better enhance the campervanning experience.  Then we get to go on more holidays.  Everyone’s a winner.

What vans to you convert into campervans?

We only do VW Transporters T5, T6 and Hyundai Iloads.

But I have a Mitshibushi Delica? Can you help?

Unfortunately not.

But can you fit a pop top roof onto a Toyota Hiace?

I’m sorry no, we only do VW Transporters and Hyundai Iloads.

How about a Coaster?

Hmmm. No, sorry!  Only VW Transporters and Hyundai Iloads.

I’m sure you catch our drift… :>