What are your opening hours and can I drop in to check out your vans?

Our workshop is open from 7:30-4:30 week days and Saturdays by appointment.  So you are welcome to drop in at any time during those hours from Monday to Friday, and if you want to visit us on a Saturday please contact us a day or so beforehand so we can make sure someone is there to meet you.

How long does a campervan conversion take?

Between 3 and 5 weeks depending on your conversion.  If you really can’t be without your vehicle for this amount of time talk to us and we will try to organise a quicker timeframe.

Does our Campervan Conversion come with a warranty?

Yes, we include a 3 year warranty with regular free servicing of your conversion (at 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and then 3 years).

Your campervans are awesome and so well designed. How do you do it?

We use our campervans regularly and believe in ‘testing’ them on a 2 week road trip every time we make a small change.  It’s on these roads trips that we often think of further innovations that would even better enhance the campervanning experience.  Then we get to go on more holidays.  Everyone’s a winner.

What vans to you convert into campervans?

We only do VW Transporters T5, T6 and Hyundai Iloads.

But I have a Mitshibushi Delica? Can you help?

Unfortunately not.

But can you fit a pop top roof onto a Toyota Hiace?

I’m sorry no, we only do VW Transporters and Hyundai Iloads.

How about a Coaster?

Hmmm. No, sorry!  Only VW Transporters and Hyundai Iloads.

I’m sure you catch our drift… :>

We want a campervan conversion but don’t have a van, can you help?

We are an LMCT and can purchase your new T6 or Huundai Iload at a reduced price for you.  If you are after a used van, download our Van Buying Tips here.

How do I get a quote for a new VW T6?

Email us your vehicle requirements (LWB or SWB, diesel or petrol, any extra features such as 4motion, comfort package etc) and we’ll get back to you with a quote for the vehicle if purchased through us.  And yes we will pass on our VW discount!

How is the new VW Transporter (T6) different to the T5?

We also wrote a blog post on this here.

Do you have any used vans for sale?

To view our completed campervans for sale check out our for sale page on this website.  If you are after a used van for your conversion, sorry we don’t sell empty used vans however refer to advice above as to how you can find the right used van for your conversion.

What is your advice when looking for a used van for my conversion?

  • We would not recommend purchasing a used vehicle from a private seller. Always purchase your van from a dealership, as you will have legal rights pertaining to the condition of the van once you have driven away.
  • Similarly, if you are purchasing a second hand vehicle and are paying for an RACV/RACQ/NRMA check be aware of what this inspection covers. The fine print reads that the inspection will only cover you for 30 days after the check and only for a maximum of $1000. Additionally, this minimal coverage is only valid if you are already an RACV member. Having said that, if there are any major mechanical issues they should shop up on an RACV check and you will then know to continue shopping for another vehicle.
  • At Achtung Camper we convert VW Transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai Iload vans only.
  • When purchased new, The VW Transporters come with a 3 years warranty and the Hyundai vans with a 5 year warranty. You can often find a better value used Hyundai with lower km’s and still with 1 or 2 years warranty remaining than if you were to buy a used VW of the same age.
  • If you are wanting a pop top roof for you campervan keep in mind we cannot add a pop top roof to a VW mid roof van, we can only add the pop top roof to what was originally a low roof van.
  • If you don’t want to pay for a pop top roof (they can be pricey) you could purchase a VW mid roof. You can’t stand up straight in them but they give you some added height and more cabinetry space.
  • Another positive to purchasing a VW Transporter with a mid roof is that the majority of them are 4 Motion (4 Wheel Drive Capacity).

–     As per above, the VW Transporter is available in a 4 Motion (4 Wheel drive capacity). Please note that there are very few used 4 Motion VW Transporters available for sale, and if you want a new T6 with 4 Motion is will need to be factory ordered from Germany, with about a 5 month lead time to arrive here in Australia.

  • It is better to get a van with a tailgate/boot that lifts up as opposed to barn doors (two doors that open in the middle).  Although the only reason for this is that you will have weather protection if you want to sit in the back of the van looking out when it’s raining. See pic below. This isn’t a necessity though, just something to keep in mind.
  • It is better if you can get a van with at least one window in the back but if not we can add them later, although this is an additional cost. You want at least 3 back windows in your van for the conversion.
  • A van with 3 seats in the front is not ideal as you want to be able to walk through from the back to the front easily.  This will also mean you can’t have a swivel seat base added to the passenger seat. (If you are going to be travelling with 2 people the swivel seat base can be handy (it means you can sit opposite each other when you spending time sitting inside the van.)
  • VW Transporters come in a short wheel base or long wheel base.  The long wheel base is 30 cm longer than the short wheel base, which means 30cm more cabinetry space. Some may find the LWB a little harder to park and drive if you live in the city/are used to driving a small car/not the best driver (me).  There are 80% more SWB vans for sale than LWB vans and they are slightly cheaper than LWB vans. Always check yourself that a van is 100% LWB as opposed to SWB before you purchase it as they are often incorrectly advertised as LWB online. See images below for more information, you can see the difference when the side sliding door is closed.
  • The Hyundai vans are all short wheel base vans.

Should I get a LWB or SWB van?

Read our blog post on the subject for a detailed answer!

Which windows do I need in the back of my van?

Another good question.  Watch our very short video which explains the windows we’d suggest getting fitted.  You can get them fitted yourself from a dealer (if you are purchasing your van from a dealership) or at a vehicle accessory shop such as All Vehicle Accessories in Melbourne.  We can also organise to have them fitted for you if you’d like.

How do I choose my own colour scheme for my campervan?

Once you’ve booked in we’ll send you a ‘choose your colours’ form with instructions on how you can view all of the colour possibilities online.  We will then post you out samples in the mail of whatever fabrics and colours you would like to see and you can choose your favourites from!

You can choose from over 9 bright (and neutral!) colours for your cabinetry, a different colour for your benchtop, any colour you can think of for your rock and roll bed/seat and from over 6 netrual colours for interior lining/carpet.

What is the size of your bed?

It’s 1.20 metres x 2.00 metres (about double bed size).

Can I just purchase a rock and roll bed?

You can but we need to install it in your van and can’t sell you the seat as a separate item without installation.  For prices of single items (not a whole conversion) download our Single Item Pricelist.

What is the height of an Achtung Camper with the pop top roof fitted?

It’s just under 2.10 metres for a VW Transporter and just under 2 metres for a Hyundai.  BUT, if you would like an awning and you have a Hyundai van the awning will add 6cm to the overall height (awning or no awning the height of the VW stays the same regardless).

Can we get a bed for the pop top roof?

Yes, this is an additional extra and will sleep either one adult or two children.

Can you fit roof racks on the pop top roof?

There is no problem having roof racks installed on your pop top roof.  We do not install roof racks ourself however recommend Pole Position in Geelong for all your bike rack and roof rack needs.

What is the difference between your pop top roof and the pop top roofs that lift vertically?

Not a quick answer so we’ve written a blog entry – read it here!

I need more information on campervan features/how they work/what I need!

Good point.  Campervanning is complicated business.

We’ve covered pretty much every piece of information on every single feature and vehicle question you might need in our blog on this website.

Here are a few of our most popular…

Do I need solar and when would I use it?

Do I need a pop top roof (it’s a big expense!)?

How does your metho run cooker work and why don’t you use gas?

What’s 12 volt, what’s 240 volt and what’s the difference?! (This is so confusing!)

How does the leisure battery work in your campervan??

How do I get a quote for my conversion?

You can get your own quote for your conversion on our website here by first choosing your camping style then adding and removing features as per your camping needs.

How do I book in for a conversion?

Email us and we’ll send you a booking form with information on how you can pay a $500 deposit to book in your conversion

What are your payment terms?

To book in your conversion date with us we require a $500 deposit.  After you’ve paid your $500 deposit to book in we will require 50% of the remainder owing on your conversion to be paid by your conversion start date. The remainder is to be paid by campervan completion/pickup.

Does your price include gst?


We need finance!

No worries, talk to us and we’ll organise it for you.

We don’t live in Victoria but would like our campervan converted. Can we still get an Achtung Camper and how do we get our van to Geelong?

The majority of our campervan conversions are done for clients interstate.  You can either drive your van down to us or send it down on a truck (costs range from $550 from NSW to $1300 depending on where you live in Australia).  Organising your conversion can be done via email and over the phone.  We can send you samples of all the materials colours you are considering when choosing the colour scheme for your van.

If you are dropping off or picking up your van yourself we can drive you to or from Avalon Airport which is a 30-minute drive from our workshop.  If you would like to be picked up or dropped off please email us your flight number and arrival/departure date/time.

Alternatively if you are catching a plane from Melbourne Airport there is an hourly bus which runs from Geelong Train station (3 minutes walk from Achtung Camper workshop). If you are travelling to or from Melbourne regular trains run from Geelong station (1 hour travel time, trains running every 30minutes -1 hour).

If it’s a NEW van we’ll supply you with a Vic Roads permit which allows you to drive from our workshop to your destination within 7 days via the ‘most direct route’.  If you are wanting to make more of a road trip out of your return drive please let us know as there are other options available.

How do we insure our campervan conversion and how does registration work?

You can swap over your van insurance from normal car insurance to Campervan insurance from the day you are due to pickup your completed campervan.  You can then make sure it’s insured for the full value of the campervan i.e. Cost you paid for the van + conversion.
You also need to take your completed campervan to the relevant roads authority in your state to change its classification from a normal motor vehicle to a campervan/caravan.  Keep in mind you have 14 days from when you take out insurance for the vehicle as a campervan to have its classification changed or the insurance may not be valid.
When visiting the roads authority in your state make sure you have the engineer’s certificate and electrician’s certificate with you and have the compliance plate (small blue sticker provided with the engineer’s certificate) stuck on the inside of the driver’s side front door.  We will supply you with all of these things when you pick up your campervan.
With insurance we generally recommend CIL as they are one of the biggest in Australia and the cheapest – they also have wonderful service.  If you contact them mention our Referrer Number: 44146875 as we are registered with them.  Their number is 1800 112 481 or cilinsurance.com.au
Download Principles of Vanning