Hot water, what a luxury…do you need this in your campervan? Absolutely not!
Why would you want it?
- Because if you have to wash dishes in your van it’s much easier to do with hot water.
- Because if you want to shower comfortably in your van and not just when the weather’s hot outside, you’d want a hot shower!
How does it work and how much power does it use?
- The hot water boiler holds 6 litres of water at 90 degrees.
- We had 3 hot showers, one after the other, no problem. This took 10% of the water tank’s water supply (when full). It then took 40 minutes for the water to re-heat and this used 7% of the leisure battery (as it automatically re-fills and re-heats as it empties).
- When washing and rinsing dinner dishes for 3 people we used 15% of the water tank’s capacity when full) and this used 10% of the leisure battery. (Also note I love rinsing dishes BEFORE AND AFTER washing them, not the best habit for camping but old habits die hard).
- When refilling your van completely with cold water and wanting to heat the water from scratch it takes about 22 minutes when plugged into 240 volt power, or about 2 hours if it’s heats from your leisure battery. The water stays hot in the tank for at least a day so the best thing to do is heat it up while driving then leave it on.
How much does it cost?
If you are only planning on staying in Caravan Parks then you definitely do not need this as you would use the park’s facilities to shower and wash your dishes.