Awnings are a popular accessory for campervans, providing shade and protection from the elements. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the use of wind-out awnings permanently attached to vans, such as the Fiamma or Dometic awnings. We’ll explore their benefits, limitations, setup time, and alternative options available.
Benefits and Limitations of Wind-Out Awnings:
1. Limited Protection: Wind-out awnings alone offer little protection from rain or sun unless additional accessories, such as privacy walls, are installed. These walls can be purchased separately online from retailers like CaravanandRVworld.
2. Setup Time: Setting up the awning alone typically takes 3-5 minutes for one person, while adding the privacy walls may require an additional 10 minutes.
3. Inconvenience for Driving: Once the awning and walls are set up, you cannot drive away without packing them up. Keep in mind that disassembling and packing up the awning takes time and effort.
4. Common Industry Standard: Wind-out awnings are widely used and considered an essential feature by many campervan owners. They provide a convenient sun shelter when no other options are available nearby.
1. Drive-Away Shelters: For 4WD camping, cheaper “drive-away” style shelters are available at stores like BCF. These shelters offer their own type of weather protection at a lower price point compared to wind-out awnings.
2. Natural Shade: If you prefer a more budget-friendly approach, relying on finding shady spots under trees can be an effective way to stay protected from the sun.
Wind-out awnings, such as the Fiamma or Dometic models, offer convenient shade and protection for campervan owners. However, it’s important to consider their limitations, such as limited weather protection without additional accessories and the need to pack them up before driving. Alternatively, drive-away shelters and seeking natural shade can provide alternative options for sun and rain protection. Ultimately, the decision to use an awning depends on individual preferences and camping needs.
Check out our how-to video here: